Thursday, December 14, 2006

Six Months in College

Sitting here in front of the computer, I can hardly think up of a topic to write about.Well,i have to write something i guess.Lets see...hmmm....how about my college.So here you go....

I am a young boy,not yet out of his teens-neither too young to be called a teenager.Like all fortunate youth of this country,I have to study in order to succeed in life...or at least thet is what everybody says.I am not your good student-son-human image kind of a boy.To tell the truth,I hardly attend college.And on those occassions that i do,lectures are mostly cancelled.Maybe my profs have developed an allergy towards me.But i love my college,I hope that it would say the same about me.

Living in one of the faraway suburbs of a mega metropolis like mumbai,I did not have a large option of colleges to choose from ( Not that we do not have the facilities,My marks were pretty bad,worse rather).So I chose a college that i could afford rather than like.Well,it wasn't so bad after all.I was informed that my year would start in July.

I attended my first lecture after about three weeks of the start of the academic year.I assure you that i was not the first person to do so,and most certainly not the last either.We,students have a rather mythical or even delusional view about college life.For us,entering college means not wearing uniforms,bunking lectures,and obviously growing up.Though that is not true for a huge portion of the academia,it most certainly is the law for idiots like me.

I started off very popularly.There are various "Groups"in colleges.There are the " Hot guys","Cool Guys","Nerds","Bullies","Average Joes" etc etc.I,though wasn't made to be in one single group.When you are as smart,cool,funny and yeah..handsome as i am,forgive me the self-praise,you know you'll get along with everybody like fish and chips.I was thronged by boys and girls...well,maybe not girls..but definitely boys.I'll add that I am a thoroughly straight person,but this popularity came as a surprise.

I soon found out what i had to do here.I joined the camps organised,the literature club and the drama.Though i never got the lead role in any drama( the prof was biased),i managed to hold my ground.As for studies,I wasn't doing that bad.The arrival of our first term brought my attention to the only weakness in my armour - Attendance.Well,i managed to get it solved with some help from my acquaintances.You see,if anyone needs my answer sheets during the exams,he ought to be prepared for doing something.Nothing comes for free.So my profs were absolutely stunned when they found me having an 78% attendance record.

It's been half a year since i joined college.I think i've achieved quite a lot for six months,though i am not content with it.You might wonder whether all this is true,Maybe yes;maybe not.I,for one,have lived through all this and will continue to do so.

3 comments:

Skin said...

dude...I totally agree about the groups thing. Everybody wants you to be in one group or another. In mithinbai college it was no diffeent. Of course that was like a decade ago. Not to forget we had this very cool canteen where all the rich guys would hang out.

Roshan said...

Was an interesting post to read about. Don't really know what a comment could be. But was a good post!

blah in gobbledygook said...

kosher my friend....like the group bit and the attendance drama too...

well engg is a saga in itself too....